Monday, April 20, 2009

April 13th - Moving into the Progressive nursery

Monday morning Eric had to go back to work so I was on my own going back and forth to the NICU. I called to check on Ryan first thing in the morning and found out from his nurse that she was expecting the doctor to order for Ryan's IV to be taken out and that he would be allowed ad lib feedings.

I went to the NICU for his noon care time and was thrilled to find out that his IV was out and that I would be allowed to breastfeed him! I got to spend 30 minutes in the breastfeeding room feeding my baby and kissing and cuddling him all I wanted! Of course he was a champ at nursing and had no problems and was a very happy boy after getting all the milk that he wanted. I wished we could have stayed there all cuddled up longer, but he needed to get back under his bili lights in order to get his levels down so he could go home.
No more IV!

Since he did so good at nursing I was told that I would be allowed to nurse him at any care time that I was there for. So of course I was back there at 4 when he was allowed to nurse again. After his 4pm care time his nurse told me that she was moving him to a crib and that by the evening he would be moved over to the Progressive Nursery. He was working his way out of the NICU and getting closer to coming home.

Eric came with me for his 8 pm care time and we got to cuddle with Ryan more and I was able to nurse him again.

At that time we thought that all Ryan had to do was get his bili levels lower and show that he was continuing to nurse well and that he would be discharged but that all changed the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment